It’s amazing how you can sense the change in weather through your skin and hair. When the humidity levels around you fall and the air outside cools and dries, the water in your skin evaporates more quickly. You end up with flaky, dry skin. The same happens with your hair, which then becomes brittle.
A basic way to fight dry hair is to give it a deep conditioning, moisturizing hair mask once every week. It just happens that I have the most suitable DIY hair mask recipe that you can make from ingredients you can find in your kitchen pantry.
Damaged or dry hair treatments can be effective in giving back your hair’s shine and locking in the needed moisture. If you have it done at a salon, expect it to be a costly treatment. This is one of the reasons that motivated me to try this hair mask recipe.
When your hair becomes dry, it frizzes when you brush it. It just shows that your hair cannot deal with low humidity. This yogurt hair mask is just the thing you need to revitalize your mane. With its ability to eliminate the frizz, this mask will become your favorite as well.
The honey in these hair mask recipes contributes a lot to your hair’s health. This golden syrup is a humectant. It holds in moisture, stimulates the growth of hair, and, of course, smoothes and softens hair.
Honey’s antibacterial properties also make your scalp and hair healthier.
Why Yogurt is Good For Your Skin?
I love the idea of mixing up my own batch of skincare products.
What I love about natural skincare is the convenience that I can just wander around my pantry and whip up a potent beauty potion in a pinch.
And one of the homemade concoctions that I love to put on my face and hair is yogurt.
It is loaded of protein, enzymes, and zinc that works effectively in removing dead skin cells. It is just a bit acidic, which makes it great as an exfoliator.
Not only that, it’s good in tightening the pores, smoothing out fine lines, hydrating away dry patches and giving your skin a much-needed glow. Best of all, it has the ability to restore and to balance your skin’s natural pH makeup.
The main ingredient, yogurt, is the essential key to the effectiveness of this hair mask. Other dry hair treatments can be found on oil.
If you have thin hair strands as I do, you will merely end up laboring over washing the oil out of your hair. I never went back to using oil-based hair treatments the moment I started using this yogurt hair mask.
This hair mask deeply conditions and leaves hair glossier and livelier. When the humidity goes back to normal levels outside, you can just wear your hair down. Give this honey yogurt mask a try and let me know some feedback.
Is Yogurt Good for your Hair?
All-natural yogurt is packed of protein, which is vital in making your hair healthy and strong as it grows. Yogurt also has fat that conditions and moisturizes your hair naturally.
The enzymes in yogurt will also combat dandruff and help soothe an itchy scalp.
The lactic acid in this dairy product is great at stripping dead skin cell layers and cleansing your scalp. A clear scalp encourages hair follicles to spring out.
How is Honey Good for Your Hair?
As a humectant, honey draws in and locks moisture into your hair. As an emollient, it helps smooth and softens every strand. Because it’s full of nutrients, it is a great superfood for your scalp.
Benefits of Yogurt and Honey Hair Mask
Below are some of the known benefits of a yogurt deep conditioning treatment:
- Yogurt makes your hair soft.
- Adds extra shine to your hair.
- Helps combat frizziness during warm, humid weather
- Promotes hair growth because of the lactic acid and zinc that seep into your scalp
- Makes hair more manageable to detangle
- Gives more moisture and replaces lost moisture to your hair
Helpful Tips for Beautiful, Healthy Hair
- Do not Over Wash your Hair. Unless you live in a humid environment or you work out daily, washing your hair once or twice in a week is enough.
- Use a natural cleaner or a gentle shampoo (some use baby shampoo).
- Remember that hot water can harm your scalp and hair. Always use cool, clean water during washing, unless you have a cough, cold, or flu.
- Just air dry your hair. If you need to use a blow dryer, use the cool air setting.
- Don’t subject your hair to chemical treatments. Straightening, coloring, or perming hair diminishes your hair’s moisture on an extreme level.
- The sun can dehydrate your hair so protect your hair from it. If you know you’ll be spending a lot of time under the sun, make sure you wear a hat or a scarf.
- Make your hair healthy from the inside. Omega-3 enhances your hair’s shine and smoothness. It also aids in restoring your hair’s moisture. Eat foods rich in omega-3 such as flax seed, fish, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds.
- Vitamin A is also vital in keeping your hair’s hydration and softness. Include papaya, mango, dark leafy greens, carrots, and sweet potato in your diet.
- Try to avoid stress. If you can’t, learn how to destress by meditating and taking time to unwind. Stress leads to lack of proper nutrition, bad sleeping habits, and neglect, which then leads to dry hair and scalp. Eventually, you start suffering from hair fall.
Tricks to Seal-in the moisture on your hair
Here is an effective technique to keep your hair frizz-free, soft, and shiny:
- After stepping out of the shower and while your hair is still damp, apply oil through your hair.
- Place a few drops of oil in your palm, rub your palms together and then work the oil through the strands of your hair.
- Concentrate on the ends. Grapeseed, argan, or almond oil are light oils that can serve you well. These will add a lot of shine and moisture to every strand of your hair.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt (whole fat)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
Note: Just double or adjust the amount of ingredients if you have longer hair.
- Mix the ingredients all together.
- Gently work the mask onto your hair, from scalp to ends.
- Give your scalp a gentle good massage – you want the mask to cover your scalp.
- Leave the mask on for 15 -20 minutes.
Wash as normal, but really well! If you use conditioner, just a small amount on the ends will do.
- Do this treatment once a week to restore and maintain your hair.
The hair is our crowning glory. Taking great care of it reflects our general health.
With all these tips and with Greek yogurt hair mask, you will surely achieve that luscious, lustrous hair you have always wanted, whatever level of humidity you have.
I need to see my own beauty and to continue to be reminded that I am enough, that I am worthy of love without effort, that I am beautiful, that the texture of my hair and that the shape of my curves, the size of my lips, the color of my skin, and the feelings that I have are all worthy and okay. ~~Tracee Ellis Ross